Pages

Friday, December 27, 2013

The Christmas Card That Never Was & Update

Every year I say out loud to Phil: "we should do Christmas cards this year." And every year I fail to send out anything! I think it always comes down to time and money for me. Someday it will happen, but for now we'll stick with the virtual kind! 


Update on the Singer Family:

PHILLIP
Phil started his PhD program this past fall in Health Services Organization and Policy (I got the name from the website, because I always forget the long title!) He really loves his classes and the material he studies, but the amount of reading and writing really piles up. He's extremely busy and works really hard! This year Phil and I have taken up running, though Phil has been a little more dedicated than me this winter and still runs about 3 times a week in the mornings before he goes to school. He seems to really enjoy it and is looking really trim! Phil continues to be a wonderful dad and Felix never tires of playing with him. They take frequent trips to the library together and have recently started a nightly tradition of unloading the dishwasher! Felix enjoys it so much that we sometimes use it as a reward for eating all his dinner! 



JENNIFER
There are two things I'm most proud of this year. The first is running my first ever 5k back in July (you can read about that here). And the second is potty training Felix! It went so much more smoothly than I imagined it would. I think the key was waiting until he was ready instead of trying to push him. He amazes me everyday and I can't believe how fast he grows and matures. Most of my time is wrapped up in taking care of our little man, but I do get some moments to myself! I've been reading quite a lot this year, a lot of things I wouldn't normally read, like fantasy/science fiction and youth and young adult fiction. In the fall I was asked to serve in the Young Women's organization in our ward over the beehives (12 & 13 yr olds). It's been so fun to see Young Women's from the "other side." It makes me appreciate my past leaders so much more. It takes a lot of time and effort! This past spring I also had the opportunity to take my first train ride down to Chicago to spend a few days with two of my best girlfriends from high school/college. It was so nice to get away for a few days and indulge in good food, good conversation and a new city!


FELIX
Felix has had a big year! He turned 2 in April, flew on 12 airplanes (Boston, Salt Lake City, Portland all with connecting flights each way), started a preschool/play-school group, learned his ABC's, started singing songs, learned his numbers (1-10), potty trained, and recently started sleeping in a big boy bed! Felix loves to play with trains. I guess I should rephrase that and say, Felix is OBSESSED with trains. I'm not complaining. With the breadth of what's available to kids out there, I'm pretty pleased it's trains he's gravitated towards. I'm hoping the whole superhero/fighting phase will take a few more years to catch on. Felix is very smart and talks a lot! Its so fun to have conversations with him. The other day I asked him what he wanted to be when he grows up, he looked at me with a quizzical face and said "Christmas?" I'm pretty sure he didn't understand the question, but his response and the way he said it was priceless. One day he thought he heard the snowplow outside clearing the sidewalks in our complex. He said "mom is that the snowplow outside?" I responded that they were not outside, he must have heard something else. His response: "no, it was, I know snowplows" very matter-of-factly.  But he still reminds me frequently that he's still my baby boy when he wants to cuddle and play with my ponytail. He's played with my hair every since he was a baby as a way to sooth himself. To this dad he'll walk up to me and ask "play with your hair?" I sure hope that sensitive side of him never goes away, it's what makes being his mother a pure joy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment